Minecraft servers: Why I think economics fall apart in Minecraft and ultimately the real world (Published on 2/6/26 3:54 PM

 //Okay, so I've played on various Minecraft servers over the years, and something that I've noticed is how the economies in most Minecraft servers mirror the real world. Okay, so to jump right into it, diamonds are very flawed in that in a server, they are used in a great deal of ways, such as armor, tools, armor trims, jukeboxes, etc., etc. Now, with that being said, they are a finite resource, so they are useful in a sense that if inflation is to occur, than their is a limit, but also that being said, the opposite is true, eventually there is a chance that all diamonds will disappear. Now this poses an interesting question: should the currency be renewable? There is a great deal of evidence to support both sides of the argument. 

//in favor of it encourages server growth, as if more people join, there would be less to go around in the market. Now, if we are accounting for a server-wide government, this would allow for control over the currency, but that's a bit too authoritarian for my liking. If something is only good because it's controlled, it isn't good its just acceptable. Similar to the current state of the dollar, if the people suddenly decided they no longer value it, then it could no longer work. The gold standard no longer exist so there isn't a backing to it. It is only valued because we give it value. Simalerly that would be the case for a lot of items that aren't too useful outside of being rare. Hence, maybe a non-renewable resource would be the most valuable.

// In favor of non-renewable resources is that there is a limit to inflation. But again, the opposite is true, even with a useless item like dragon heads, which are only valued because of vanity; they can be destroyed now, people will log off, and the chances of them leaving their heads would be slim. Now there are resources that are non-renewable that are very abundent, such as dirt, but ideally you would want a resource that is rare enough to encourage value by the people. So, ideally, you would want something that is scarce enough to encourage being valued by the player. 

//Now this poses an interesting question: what could even match that item description? Now my proposal would be a mineral based ecounmy, but not in the way it is typically imposed. So, with a server that allows players to perform free trade, anything can be used as currency for trade, but if we wanted a currency for government use and large-scale transactions, I propose a multi-resource system with raw copper being the lowest tier. It can be crafted into blocks for bulk trade, which is still limited despite being plentiful, but this is the lowest tier on the trade. It can be exchanged for a copper note. The next up would be raw iron, equal to a block of raw copper in the trade. Now this would be equal to a block of raw copper due to the system of exchange. Now I'm not sure if this would be equal in terms of world distribution, as from my findings, the distribution per world seems pretty similar in terms of total ore. A piece of raw iron would be equal to one iron note; this could be exchanged at any time for a piece of raw iron or a block of raw copper. Now, with that being said, what if copper were mined in bulk and then exchanged for raw iron? This is a rather concerning idea, yet with how the exchange works, refined iron (ingots) would be more efficient to get, as it is farmable, raw iron is not. To encourage this practice, maybe raw iron is worth double or even triple its amount in iron. Though that would be enforced more on the server side of things. Now, next up would be raw gold, which, unlike copper to iron, is a much higher jump in scarcity. Now, as per the paetern a piece of raw gold is equal to a block of raw iron, and a gold note would be equal to a piece of raw gold, a block of raw iron, or nine blocks of raw copper. 

//Now here's the tricky part with the next ore being diamonds, would it be the logical step to make it the final ore? Maybe, but if we were to follow the pattern, then we would have a resource equal to 81 blocks of raw copper. That is 1 diamond being equal to 729 pieces of raw copper. So with how its structered, I honestly think that the three-currency system should only be in place. Yet that poses more problems. What about the diamond trade? Well, as the government is not a dictatorship, players are more than free to trade with them, but due to the nature of the currency and the potential pitfalls, I believe that we should not honor a government-backed diamond trade. If we are operating under a free market, the people are more than welcome to assign value as they see fit. Is there a risk of something absurd, like a wheat block being valued the same as an iron note? Yes, but with how trade works, the hope is that the system is honored and balanced. Now, with that being said, Ore Notes will only be printed as resources reach the treasury, and the exchange should be balanced to help better regulate.

//Is this system good? I have no damn clue, as I mostly play single-player and have not yet tested it, but in theory, I believe this should work nicely. But hey, I'm not an economics student, I study computer engineering, so maybe they can tell me how this is shit, but as it stands, I have more confidence in this working than I do in the US dollar. Apart from that, I have work to do, so I'll see ya'll some other time.

Comments